RE: least awful approach for keeping training slides up to date with core doc updates

Subject: RE: least awful approach for keeping training slides up to date with core doc updates
From: "margaret Cekis" <margaret -dot- cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "'Robert Lauriston'" <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L Writing'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 14:48:38 -0500

Robert Lauriston asked about a workflow for keeping training slides up to
date with core doc updates.
________________________________
What are you using to create the source images in your docs?

I discovered in a recent project that SnagIt has a lot of cool image
manipulation tools, and can perform image transformation operations on a
whole directory of images at once.

If I had to set up a workflow to provide training slides for an application,
and keep them in sync with the documentation, I'd set up duplicate image
directories for each doc (or doc version). Then I'd use the SnagIt tools to
resize the whole set of to fit PowerPoint slides or whatever, delete or
resize text, etc. (I haven't looked lately, you may even be able to save
them as .PPT files.)

Images that are not changed between versions could simply be copied to the
new version slide directory. Any images revised for a new version would also
be copied to a subdirectory the new version slide directory, and processed
to the slide format, before being put in the new version slide image
directory with the unchanged images. Does this help at all?

Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek GA