Client access to edit Help

Subject: Client access to edit Help
From: Suzette Leeming <suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TechWriter <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 10:54:35 -0400

Background:

We deliver browser based help files for our enterprise software but it`s
installed on our clients' servers for security reasons (let`s not debate
that).

Our clients want the ability to "modify" the help files so that it can
include their own internal process information and links to their internal
documents as well.

This has been fairly straight forward in the past and all they required was
an html editor because we deliver the help in an uncompressed format.

We now have much more complex help files and it`s not straight forward
anymore and some clients may have an issue with this, and it`s become a bit
of an internal thorn in my side. Indeed, many of the RFPs we respond to
specifically ask "can the help files be modified?"

My question to the group is this; is anyone else in the same situation and
if so, how do you handle it?

Suzette Leeming

PS - My most recent suggestion was to give clients our source files and
suggest they buy a license to the help authoring tool we use. That
suggestion did not go over very well.