Re: Resistance to allowing anonymous web access to online help?

Subject: Re: Resistance to allowing anonymous web access to online help?
From: Robert Fekete <fekete77 -dot- robert -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: John G <john -at- garisons -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 20:18:15 +0200

Hi John,

I've seen this battle at our company as well. Some ideas that might come
handy:

* You mentioned that you monitor how users use your docs. Depending on the
number of your users, you could try to estimate how many more would use it
if it was out in the open. For example, check if there is significant
results for "<yourproduct> documentation" (or other synonims) in google
trends. You could also check your website (not the doc part) search
analytics to see how many visitors try to find the docs on your site.
* Talk to your support guys and check the support tickets to find out how
many tickets your users open about stuff that exists in the docs, they just
didn't find it. Try to run a survey (maybe embedded in your support system)
to find out if they actually tried to resolve the problem from the docs. If
there is significant amount of such tickets, it means that it costs your
company support time and personnel that the docs are not accessible.
* Find out who is doing competitor monitoring/analysis at your company
(marketing/presales/whoever) and ask if they have the docs of your
competitors. If they do, and the docs of the competitors are not freely
available, then your company managed to get it somehow, meaning that it
would be foolish to assume that others don't have your docs. (Unless you
are taking pains to limit evaluation access/whatever to your product, which
means that you are probably losing business as well.)
* Unless you are operating in a very niche market with very few or no
competitors, hiding the docs means that for anyone interested in finding
information about how to solve the problem your product would solve, is
much easier to find a solution somewhere else. Of course, if your product
is so much superior to your competitors that prospects wouldn't even
consider them, that's not a problem, but then you'd be a market leader, and
wouldn't make any sense hiding the docs.

Regards,
Robert