Re: Documentation behind a login

Subject: Re: Documentation behind a login
From: "Sweet, Gregory P (HEALTH)" <gregory -dot- sweet -at- health -dot- ny -dot- gov>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 16:33:41 +0000

Almost 100% of my content is behind a login. And itâs a login that requires identity verification by a third party (either notarized acknowledgment or DMV issued ID verification) to obtain. Beyond the âsimpleâ login, some content requires multi-factored authentication to access. Sometimes content actually needs to be secured.

So, to me the question isnât whether or not putting content behind a login is a hindrance to the user (it absolutely is!), but does the content actually qualify for the security being imposed upon it?

Thanks!

Greg

On 1/20/17, 6:58 AM, "techwr-l-bounces+gregory -dot- sweet=health -dot- ny -dot- gov -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com on behalf of Helen Mullally" <techwr-l-bounces+gregory -dot- sweet=health -dot- ny -dot- gov -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com on behalf of helen -dot- mullally -at- alfresco -dot- com> wrote:

ATTENTION: This email came from an external source. Do not open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails.

Hi all

I'm interested to know what people think about putting documentation behind a login screen, for example to offer extra documentation for paying customers.

I wonder what views you have about about giving all documentation freely available online. Do you see the restricted access to some documentation as a business opportunity or an annoyance/hinderance to the wider readership and prospects?

I don't know whether there is a yes or no answer to this but it is more about the principle.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Helen

-----

Helen Mullally