A NEW TOPIC (you can read this)

Subject: A NEW TOPIC (you can read this)
From: "Kate M. Jarsulic" <kjarsuli -at- CCD -dot- HARRIS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1993 14:16:04 EDT

I think that the day's discussion of "enough is enough" and the
subscribe/unsuscribe debate has gone on long enough.

I have been in the technical writing field about a year now. I would like
to ask some other writers out in the *real world* about the cultural differences
that you have experienced.

The tech writing team where I work is composed of two other women. We deal
mostly with men engineers. I am curious if any of the other women
technical writers have had a difficult time getting respect from their
male co-workers (writers or otherwise). We have found that is difficult to
communicate the idea that we are writers -- not "typers"

I don't want this to turn into a battle of the sexes -- I would like to get
some valuable insight from some of you who have been in the *real world*.

Some quick background: The documents supporting the previous product wer
horrendous at best. Solution: get technical writers. So, as of a little over
a year ago, the tech writing team was formed. The point is that nobody
has gotten used to having a technical writing team.

Any ideas of what we can do to a) bridge a cultural, gender, and
generational gap and b) get people used to us?

Please respond only with helpful suggestions. I do not want this to get ugly.

Thanks.

Kate Jarsulic
Technical Writer