Simply red

Subject: Simply red
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- MATIS -dot- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1993 09:33:14 IST

A few years ago I inadvertently tipped a new writer into blowtorch mode
with my first corrections. "Hmm, maybe you shouldn't have used red ink,"
my boss said. I'll never know, but I've avoided red since then. Why
take a chance? Blue is the traditional color for, er, blue-pencilling,
and a darker blue is of course the traditional color for friendly
correspondence. "Demonstrate your individuality by using a green pen,"
counseled a book my old man showed me in the sixties. ("What I wouldn't
give to be a nonconformist like everybody else"-- Bernard Mergandieler)

I'm sure that to many of us red is simply red, but I'd advise avoiding it
since so many other colors are available and you may happen across someone
to whom marking in red is like waving a (ahem) red flag.

Mark L. Levinson, SEE Technologies, Box 544, Herzlia, Israel
mark -at- matis -dot- ingr -dot- com | voice +972-9-584684, ext. 230 | fax +972-9-543917