Re: Been there done that now what?

Subject: Re: Been there done that now what?
From: Steve Read <sread -at- HURSLEY -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1993 13:29:35 GMT

Well! I certainly seem to have struck a chord here. Are all of us
bored? I've received more than a few notes from people who are in
the same boat.

The problem seems to be that, as writers, we're typecast. We don't
know anything about the "difficult" stuff. After all, a decent
secretary could do our job, right? :-(

The more I think about this, the more I think that it comes down to
advertising (CV, resume, whatever). I was talking to a friend of
mine the other day, and he's received advice to re-cast his CV and
make himself a "consultant" instead of a writer. I think I'll do
the same and float it to see what happens.

Teaching? Nah, I went into tech writing because I didn't
want to be a teacher.

User support? Maybe, but I've got used to good money, and
those jobs don't pay real well.

Multimedia? Somebody said there are a lot of wannabes doing
it. I suspect that's accurate, but boy oh boy is there some
cool stuff going on.

Mike Beyries suggested usability testing or release-level
new feature testing or pre-sales support and development.
These are interesting ideas. Establishing street cred
(why are *you* qualified to do that?) seems to be the problem.

Hmm. I must be good for something.
--
Steve Read sread -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com
IBM UK Not IBM's opinion, blah, blah, blah