Re: Been there done that now what?

Subject: Re: Been there done that now what?
From: Philip Borenstein <philip -at- WORLD -dot- STD -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1993 18:21:03 GMT

sread -at- hursley -dot- ibm -dot- com (Steve Read) writes:

>Well! I certainly seem to have struck a chord here. Are all of us
>bored? I've received more than a few notes from people who are in
>the same boat.

>The problem seems to be that, as writers, we're typecast. We don't
>know anything about the "difficult" stuff. After all, a decent
>secretary could do our job, right? :-(

I can't count the number of times I've had clients tell me "I consider
myself a pretty good writer, but I just don't have the time to write this
thing myself..."

You mentioned that you didn't want to go into management. I take that to
mean that you don't want to manage people. You might want to try project
management. In a large sense, it's like tech writing without writing
anything.

You spend all your time making sure that the project is on track
and that everyone has what they need to get the job done. This is a little
different from being a product manager in that you don't do any marketing
analysis, sales projections, competitive analysis, or product definition.

The problem with the job is that you're responsible for things you have
no authority over. If you don't take to compromise and concesus-building,
the job is impossible.

--philip.