Multimedia conversation

Subject: Multimedia conversation
From: Ann Hill Duin <AHDuin -at- MAROON -dot- TC -dot- UMN -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1993 10:19:44 -0600

Colleagues out there:

Jack Shaw mentioned the need for a conversation in which we talk with rather
than at or through each other...
A few days ago I sent a message about multimedia -- asking what people are
creating with multimedia and for your advice as my university students begin
creating multimedia presentations. The conversation didn't "catch on" too much,
so I'll try again with some different questions.

Why should we as technical communicators use multimedia? What gains will there
/ might there be? What losses? Who will really benefit and who will lose?
Bill Horton (in latest issue of TC) says that, like it or not, we have to become
multimedia experts (or as close to that as possible).

Where should we place our development efforts related to the many forms of media
around us? Virtual reality / lab applications for users? Desktop
videoconferencing? Collaborative technologies?

What needs are most important to meet when designing, documenting, and using
these systems for new forms of communication? (yes, of course we are user
advocates -- let's dig deeper -- what specific user needs and why)

Conversation anyone? Or should we wait until after the holidays?
--Ann

Ann Hill Duin, Associate Professor
Rhetoric Department
University of Minnesota
1364 Eckles Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55108
ahduin -at- maroon -dot- tc -dot- umn -dot- edu (checked often)
Voice mail: (612) 624-7260 (checked less often)

--Home of our new Ph.D. program in Rhetoric and Scientific and Technical
Communication!