another think ..uh... thing coming

Subject: another think ..uh... thing coming
From: Kelly Hoffman <kelly -at- NASHUA -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 1994 16:17:42 EST

Heli Roosild <HeliR -at- MSMAILHQ -dot- NETIMAGE -dot- COM> writes:

> Sorry, but I remember the first time I heard "another think," and know that
> "another thing" predates it. And if you think about it (:-), "think" is not
> a noun, so this version is more likely to be someone's creative play on the
> original (and more grammatical) version, rather than the other way around.

Well here's a data point for the flip side of the coin -- for years I've
known the phrase as "another think coming" and only recently have I heard
it as "thing coming."

Frankly, "thing" in this context doesn't make any sense to me. (maybe you
can explain it?)

If that's what you think, you've got another thing coming.

Hmm. What "thing" should I be expecting?

I always figured that "If that's what you think, you've got another
think coming" was a rephrasing of "If that's what you think, you better
think again." That is, in this version, "think" = "thought."

What does "thing" mean, in your version?

kkh
Kelly K. Hoffman kelly -at- nashua -dot- hp -dot- com
Learning Products Engineer
Hewlett-Packard, Network Test Division "Reading the manual is
One Tara Blvd., Nashua, NH USA 03062 admitting defeat."