Help Authoring Tools

Subject: Help Authoring Tools
From: Steve Owens <uso01%eagle -at- UNIDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 1994 09:35:22 +0700

> I'm responsible for choosing a help-authoring tool for our first MS
> Windows product. After a two-month evaluation, I recommended RoboHelp
> because it fits best with our authoring/development environment.

> However, my department's direction is to _reduce_ the number of
> tools; currently, we have a word processor, a desktop publishing
> package, a graphics package, a screen shot package...and so on.

> [...] is it possible (or even practical) to produce an .rtf file in
> FrameMaker that the Windows help compiler will accept?

Dunno, but you may want to look at Bristol Technology's Bridge
product. Bristol sells a nifty hypertext help application (called,
appropriately enough, Hyperhelp) that takes Frame files OR MS-Windows
Help files and converts them to a proprietary format. They also have
Bridge, which apparently converts Hyperhelp files to MS-Windows help
files. You might want to e-mail infoquest -at- bristol -dot- com for details,
or ftp some info files and demos from bristol.com.

Steven J. Owens
uso01 -at- unidata -dot- com