Re: I Offend.

Subject: Re: I Offend.
From: Virginia Krenn <asdxvlk -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 1994 11:15:33 CDT

I would like to add a little bit to this discussion.

I received a B.A. in math in 1967 and had taken several classes in
Computer Science. (O.S.U. did not offer a Computer Science degree back
then.) During my senior year, I interviewed for Computer Programming
positions and received several offers. One of them was from Tinker Air
Force Base at Oklahoma City. (I accepted one from an oil company
because it paid more.) The interviewer from Tinker said that they were
only interviewing math majors. I asked if I would be using a lot of
math in the programs that I would be writing. He said that I probably
wouldn't use any but that the ability to earn a math degree was
indicative of the ability to do the job that I was being interviewed
for.

Subject: I Offend.
Author: Jim Grey <jwg -at- acd4 -dot- acd -dot- com> at SMTP
Date: 6/8/94 10:12 AM

Gentle people,

I've received some e-mail, and have seen a post to this list, which say
that I have offended by agreeing with Beth Vollbach's position on degreed
v. non-degreed. I apologize for offending. I did not intend to alienate
or hurt anyone by my statements.

I understood Beth's post to say, "Sometimes all an interviewer has to gauge
determination is whether or not the candidate is degreed, for earning the
degree shows determination." I tried, but apparently failed, to echo her
words by paraphrasing my father, who claimed that a college education shows
that the person can start a difficult task and complete it. I did not intend
to suggest that this was the *only* path, or that folks without a degree
did not have determination or sticktuitiveness. Unfortunately, many readers
interpreted my words that way. Again, I'm sorry.