Re: Shut Windows down versus shutdown Windows

Subject: Re: Shut Windows down versus shutdown Windows
From: SuePStewrt -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 1994 11:37:48 EDT

Excuse me if this is too simplistic, but what is wrong with the program's own
language? That is: Close Windows, or Exit Windows? Both seem more accurate
and less ambiguous (and shorter) than "shut down." :-) I think we
sometimes risk confusing users in our quest for new ways to say the same old
thing. I admit to the same temptation. But will the user be able to find
"shut down" on any of the program's pull-down menus?

As for your actual question, I believe either is correct, depending on
wording of the sentence. I'm sure some folks will have references to prove
one way or the other. suepstewrt -at- aol -dot- com