Re: Shut Windows down versus shutdown Windows

Subject: Re: Shut Windows down versus shutdown Windows
From: JBergen <jbergen -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 1994 22:48:10 -0400

In article <940624091316 -dot- 212b73cb -at- ALPHA -dot- SUNQUEST -dot- COM>,
DLE -at- alpha -dot- sunquest -dot- com writes:

>I need some help with the verb To Shut Down.
>For example, in a procedure, I need to say something like:
>1. Shut Windows down and restart it.

>Would it be more correct to say
>1. Shut down Windows and restart it.

Unfortunately, neither of these choices sound very graceful or very
standard. I would opt, if possible, for the more standard "Exit
Windows" --- which is what the Windows docs use.

If you absolutely must keep the verb "shut down" then I would use
"Shut down windows." When you split it, it does emphasize the "down"
and that could confuse an inexperienced user.

Just my two cents.

Janie Bergen
AnswerSoft Inc.