Re: Testing to Ensure Accuracy of Inform

Subject: Re: Testing to Ensure Accuracy of Inform
From: WandaJane Phillips <wandajp -at- ANDYNE -dot- ON -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 1994 17:43:19 GMT

Where I used to work, we worked from specifications and interviews with
the programmers. We worked on the system as the programmers developed,
leaving blanks where screen shots belonged and italizing uncertain
information (not always). The idea was that we would then perform a
quick test, comparing the product (as it developed) to the text (in its
draft form). This was time consuming, and, as a result, I became the
only person who knew the system in a general way. Gradually, we began
to involve others, particularly people who would become responsible for
training users on the new system. They make great test users.

Where I work now, I work with the developers (again) -- the other
writers wait until an alpha release is ready. I have text ready for the
_quality assurance_ testing (does the product do what it is supposed to
do) and so, the draft text gets tested for technical accuracy by
someone else.

What is difficult is ensuring that the full set of docs get tested. We
also conduct usability testing (or will be, I'm in the midst of writing
our first test script and will conduct our first usability tests next
week -- we're using our customer support technicians as our test users)
which will help identify other areas that may be technically accurate
but incomprehensible.

Keeping track of what has been found and what has been fixed is my next
challenge!

WandaJane
wandajp -at- andyne -dot- on -dot- ca

(the ca stands for canada... not california)

my dog is old, my cat wants out, and the bills are hidden in the top
drawer... there is nothing to steal