Re: re. Report on how kids can't write well

Subject: Re: re. Report on how kids can't write well
From: Jacobs Chris <jacobs_chris -at- SMTPMAC -dot- BAH -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 1994 14:02:05 U

Someone hit the nail on the head -- as a teacher in a large urban school
district (6th grade English, Reading, Art), I eventually quit over the
grammar & spelling issue. In today's climate, it's not kosher to teach
grammar or spelling - I was called on the carpet for it more than once! In
fact, there wasn't a spelling book to be had in the entire building, and I
had to create from scratch any lessons to do with parts of speech, sub/verb
agreement, prefixes/sufixes, etc - the things I was taught in 6-9th grade
English classes and in elementary school, and which I use every day of my
life! I simply couldn't comprehend a sixth grader who didn't know that a
noun was a person, place, thing or idea -- much less that I was not supposed
to teach this person what a noun is and how to use one...

Better get off the soap box now. I could go on for days on this subject!!

Chris

jacobs_chris -at- bah -dot- com