Re: Who can't write?

Subject: Re: Who can't write?
From: Shelley Larock <larock -at- TYCHO -dot- ARH -dot- CDC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 1994 20:21:27 GMT

Vicki Rosenzweig said:

> I think a large part of the problem is that an engineering degree
> has so many required courses in the major that the students have
> little time for anything else that doesn't fit a distribution
> requirement. This means, in most cases, that the only writing
> course they'll take is freshman comp, if that's required.

You're right! At Michigan Tech, engineering students aren't
required to take a whole lot of writing classes, either. I
do know that the mechanical engineering department requires
a class in technical writing, which I think is an excellent
idea. Everyone also has to take a minimum of two English
classes--some take three. So I guess that even though MTU
doesn't require a ton of humanities classes, they probably
require more than average.

It still doesn't make my boyfriend a better writer than me! :)

Shelly
larock -at- tycho -dot- arh -dot- cdc -dot- com