Newsgroup or mailing-list?

From: "David L. Bergart" <bodafu -at- CCVAX -dot- SINICA -dot- EDU -dot- TW>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 1994 09:59:14 +0008

Scott J. Wilson <scott -at- WWTC -dot- TIMEPLEX -dot- COM> pointed out that

>useless drivel. You should see the others!

Amen brother! If the alien invaders monitor USENET from their secret base on
the far side of the moon, they must have a very low opinion of us Terrans.

Just a reality checkpoint...TECHWR-L is a mailing list, not a newsgroup,
but it is *mirrored* as the BIT.LISTSERV.TECHWR-L newsgroup (unless I've got
that backwards---corrections welcome). This is, in many ways, a real problem,
because the cost of a posting to a pure mailing list is the cost of sending
email to each of the 100 or 1000 subscribers, but the cost of a posting to a
newsgroup is the cost of saturation-broadcasting the posting to each of
100,000 or so news-spools all over the world.

o We are not the exclusive club we imagined---*anybody* can read our
ranting, not just list-members

o The distributed cost of a single message is on the order of
a thousand dollars!

David --- just my $1000 worth