Please: Manual or Guide?

Subject: Please: Manual or Guide?
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- SD -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 1994 12:20:52 IST

A lightning survey: My parent company wants to make manual titles
consistent. One subsidiary has historically put out a "User's Manual,"
the other has a "User's Guide."

"User's Guide" is the more widespread and meaningful term, right?
Does "User's Manual" actually have the advantage of vagueness (allowing
us to make whatever we want of it) or will people assume it is nothing
but a user's guide with a messed-up title?

Any other points for or against either name? Please send me answers/advice
immediately to the e-mail address below. My chance to decide will likely
expire before the end of this workday (Wednesday) in America.