Resume anecdotes

Subject: Resume anecdotes
From: "Less is more." <yvonne -at- VENUS -dot- SMARTSTAR -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 1994 11:35:55 -0700

David Brown noted:
>At my first Tech Writing job interview, I was asked about my previous job as
>a youth supervisor for a summer jobs program. I put it on my resume because
>I didn't have any Tech Writing job experience then, and I thought the job
>taught me good skills, even if they could be seen as unrelated to tech
>writing.

When I applied for my first job after college, my resume included my experience
as chairperson and as public relations manager for a science fiction club in
college. Sounds like a little thing, but we had 150 members, 20 officers,
a budget of $44,000 and a one-year profit of $7200. And, we never had quite
the problems at AggieCon (Texas A&M) that Aahz describes for BayCon and
TimeCon.

Anyway, when I was interviewing, several people said something like, "Oh, you
read science fiction? You'll probably get along well with our software
developers." (And I did.) Seven years later, I'm still working for the same
company, so I'm not an expert on resumes and getting hired. But, I'd say that
for an entry-level resume, you never know what will catch the interviewer's
attention.

-- Yvonne DeGraw
yvonne -at- smartstar -dot- com
(805)685-8000 x312