Reusing information with various publishing tools

Subject: Reusing information with various publishing tools
From: "Less is more." <yvonne -at- VENUS -dot- SMARTSTAR -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 1994 11:01:53 -0700

I'm giving a talk on reusing information and using document databases at
an STC conference in San Diego. The talk is mainly generic as far as
publishing tools go, but I do want to give people pointers about how to
accomplish things with various publishing tools.

I've written descriptions of what I know about implementing the following
techniques in Frame, Interleaf, MS Word, Ventura Publisher, and SGML.
These descriptions aren't complete (or even accurate in some places).

o Using symbols for product terms
o Storing information in topic files
o Storing graphics in separate files or libraries
o Using conditional processing
o Using automatic conversions (not true reuse)
o Using a database

I'm looking for experts in Frame, Interleaf, MS Word, Ventura Publisher, and
SGML to fill in the blanks for me. If you are willing to help, e-mail me
directly at yvonne -at- smartstar -dot- com and tell me which tool you are an expert
with. I'll send you the information I have so far for that tool. In return for
this assistance, I'll send a copy my overheads and workshop notes to anyone who
helps me fill in the gaps. (And list your names in the fine print, unless you
say you don't want me to.)

Note that my facts aren't straight yet. I'll send the notes from my
workshop to TECHWR-L after the conference if you there is interest.

I have posted the appropriate descriptions to the newsgroups for Frame,
Interleaf, MS Word, and SGML. I plan to post to some of the more specific
listservers, also.

Does anyone know of a newsgroup or listserver for Ventura Publisher (aka,
Corel Ventura) users?

Thanks for any info,

Yvonne DeGraw SmartStar Corporation
yvonne -at- smartstar -dot- com 120 Cremona Dr.
(805)685-8000 x312 Goleta, CA 93117