Re: Letters and E-mail

Subject: Re: Letters and E-mail
From: Marilynne Smith <m -dot- smith182 -at- GENIE -dot- GEIS -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 1994 20:55:00 UTC

>> It also isn't very ethical. I know many people will disagree,
>> but it doesn't seem right to use company (your employer's)
>> letterhead when you are looking for a job somewhere else.

I would add to that,
Don't use Company time to call prospective employers
Don't use Company resources to prepare your resume and/or copies of it
Don't forget who is benefiting from all this. It isn't your current
employer (at least I hope they aren't glad to be rid of you.)

Having said that, I will also say that when you are laid off from a Company,
part of the benefits they may give you are Company time and resources to
find another job.

Just don't get the two situations confused.

If I received a resume on letterhead from the current company, I might even
think the company was trying to get rid of the prospect. At the very least,
I would wonder about the ethics of the person applying for work.

If there is a good reason for using Company letterhead and Company resources
when *you* are the one initiating the job search, please enlighten me.

Marilynne
m -dot- smith182 -at- genie -dot- geis -dot- com