Re: First and Subsequent use of TM in doc

Subject: Re: First and Subsequent use of TM in doc
From: "Kathryn E. Leventhal-Arnold" <kleve -at- HILCO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1994 15:41:13 CST

> Friends,
> A colleague called frantic to find a formal reference to
> using the trademark and registered trademark symbols in
> a document. The marks would be used for the company
> and the product that the documentation is for, not a
> third-party. She wants to use them in the first
> instance and also cite them on the copyright page. The
> client she is working with wants to use them at
> every instance in the entire document. We looked
> briefly in _Chicago_ but couldn't find any reference
> to first *or* subsequent use of these marks.

> Please let me know of any formal reference for use
> of these marks. I know one's got to be around
> somewhere.

I don't know if this helps, but...

Allen-Bradleyi_R_ Company has one of the most complete documentation I've ever
seen on when, where, how and why to use their logos, company name and other
proprietary "stuff." The document, called Allen-Bradley PUBLICATION
GUIDLINES AND TRADEMARK STANDARDS, includes the following paragraph under
the heading "Placement of TM and R".

"In material where the mark is used more than once, the TM or R need [only
appear the first time the mark is used in the material.] Exception: When
separate articles appear in a publication as in A-B TODAY, then the R or
TM should appear the first time the trademark is used [in each article.]"

NOTE: The text within the square brackets [] appears in boldface in the
original document.

Hope this helps.

--KEL-A

Kathryn E. Leventhal-Arnold
Documentation Manager Email: kleve -at- hilco -dot- com
Hilco Technologies, Inc. Phone: 314/298-9506 x253
3300 Rider Trail South, Suite 300 Fax: 314/298-1729
Earth City, MO 63045