Re: Folks, this is getting ridiculous.

Subject: Re: Folks, this is getting ridiculous.
From: Dave Hayes <daveh -at- TV -dot- TV -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 1994 13:01:40 -0800

Patrick O'Connell <patricko -at- EICON -dot- COM> wrote:

> [...]
>I've had more than one digest that was over 2500 lines and ran over 100K on
>my trusty RAMdrive. I mean, good GOD!

>Hence, a dual plea:

>1. If you can in ANY way not auto-quote THE ENTIRETY of a posting you're
>list-replying to, PLEASE take the time to quote only the MINIMUM necessary
> [...]
>2. Can we please try to avoid things like avoid 300-message threads
>about...oh, I don't know, "zie" vs. "hir" and such? [...]

I couldn't agree more with the first plea, but I don't know about the
second. What one considers inappropriate, another might find fascinating. I
think that part of this "problem" is in the nature of the list
subscribers--the majority of whom are writers, after all.

One thing that would help a _lot_ is automating the list/digest process to
limit the size of digests or length of time between them. I also subscribe
to the tandem (bicycles) mailing list (via listserv -at- hobbes -dot- ucsd -dot- edu). The
tandem -at- hobbes list administrator has arranged to mail a digest once every
three days or 1000 lines, whichever comes first. Nice. Digests are never
too big, and are always reasonably timely.

(It would also be nice if double mailings could be avoided, but I suppose
that's another issue...)

Regards to all,

Dave

Dave Hayes daveh -at- tv -dot- tv -dot- tek -dot- com
Beaverton, Oregon USA (503) 627-4862