Re: PC Comments

Subject: Re: PC Comments
From: Gabe Goldberg <gabe -at- CPCUG -dot- DIGEX -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 1994 22:53:35 GMT

Karen Kay (karenk -at- netcom -dot- com) wrote:

: In these 3 instances of dept. heads, endowed chairs, and committee
: chairs, the word 'chair' is usually preceded by some explicatory
: modifier. I would expect the default case to be department chair, if
: you're at a university that has has them.

I use "chair" to indicate head, presider, or manager of a committee or
other group. But one of the groups with which I'm involved deals with a
product whose mascot is the teddy bear (long story, don't ask). So the
head of that group is routinely called the ChairBear. Several ChairBears
of assorted genders have worn that title comfortably.

--
Gabriel Goldberg, Computers and Publishing, Inc. ** New email addresses **
13382 Brookfield Court, Chantilly, VA 22021-2618 Internet: gabe -at- cpcug -dot- org