Is passive voice ever OK?

Subject: Is passive voice ever OK?
From: Judith Hammeran <judith -at- MACSCH -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 14:06:48 PST

situation -- occasionally, use of passive voice is the best way to avoid an
imperious use of "we" that can often be offputting to the reader. This comes up
particularly when a subjective judgment is in question.

Example: We consider XYZ software to be the leading bean-counting
product on the market today.

Better: XYZ software is considered to be the leading bean-counting
product on the market today.

This kind of language frequently appears in new product announcements, book
introductions, etc. At my company, it sometimes leaks over into the actual
procedures, and this is the fix I use.

Judith

judith -dot- hammeran -at- macsch -dot- com