Re: Job Futures-Who are We?

Subject: Re: Job Futures-Who are We?
From: Jill Buss <jb -at- US -dot- DYNIX -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 1994 13:30:13 -700

Here at Ameritech Library Services (formerly Dynix) we prefer the term
"technical communicator" because it reflects our role in communicating
information in the best way possible (be it online, in tutorials, manuals,
good user interface and design, etc.). However, most of the company still
calls us "documentors," "writers," or sometimes "instructional designers."

We've developed respect and a good working relationship with Development
over the years by persistence, a good track record, and by management
stressing our role year after year. One of the most helpful things was a
training class our vice-pres. of Development held for all programmers and
writers. This class focused on the development process as a whole (vs.
just software development). It emphasized that a completed product
included more than just the software. It also included the documentation,
training, marketing, delivery mechanism, packaging, etc. It then focused
on the role each of the different departments should contribute to EACH
product. This included all the valuable input technical communicators
could provide at all stages of the development process. The training also
suggested that all of those involved in a product (including
documentation, marketing, International development, etc.) meet briefly
about every 2 weeks during the development cycle to make sure everyone is
on-track, on-schedule, and informed.

Since I am involved with standards documentation and technical training
for our programmers, I then followed up by meeting with each development
team to apply the principles in the training to their existing projects. I
noticed that within days we had more communication and teamwork between
Development and Documentation than ever before. For us, anyway, this seems
to be more of a training issue and less of a titles issue.

Recently we changed our department name from "Documentation and Training"
to "Technical Information Services" to more accurately reflect some of the
non-documentation things we do (online information, videos, etc.). I
personally think it's more confusing because no one knows what "technical
information services" are while they at least have a mental picture of
what documentation and training are. However, we'll see if it makes a
difference in the long run.

Well, there's my two-cents worth. Lisa, feel free to call me if you want
to discuss this further or see any of the materials we used in training. --jb

Jill H. Buss
Ameritech Library Services
(801) 223-5501
(jb -at- us -dot- dynix -dot- com)

*
> Just because people say you#re crazy doesn#t mean you#re going to
> win, but sometimes it sure looks like a necessary condition for
> success.# -- Star Warriors, by William Broad

**