Re: The golden rules of writing

Subject: Re: The golden rules of writing
From: David Hancock <djh -at- ARINC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 1994 08:34:23 EST

Chris Benz and others write about:
> The Golden Rules of Writing

This has been a very good discussion thread, even when experienced in
digest mode. I'll add a set of "hallmarks" to the discussion. I wish I
could say that these are my own creation; I learned them from a fellow
named Pete (last name long since forgotten) who worked (at least in
about 1985) at Metheus/Computervision in Hillsboro, Oregon.

Hallmarks of good documentation:

1. Available
2. Correct
3. Complete
4. Usable
5. Maintainable

I've gotten a lot of mileage out of this list (thanks, Pete). I
vacillate about the rank of 4 and 5, but the others work well for
me in just the order shown.

Mike Keene | mkeene -at- utkvx -dot- utk -dot- edu posits:
> One of my problems with golden rules is finding too many of them.
> Can they *all* be golden? How about these:

> 1. You can have it good.
> 2. You can have it fast.
> 3. You can have it cheap.
> 4. Choose any two.

Sometimes, it is: "Good, fast, cheap. Pick one. Pick cheap!"

Holiday cheer to one and all!

David Hancock | dhancock -at- arinc -dot- com