time stamp or timestamp?

Subject: time stamp or timestamp?
From: Kathy Moore <kkm -at- IRIS132 -dot- BIOSYM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 10:51:07 -0800

Gail DeCamp <decampg -at- SMTPLINK -dot- NGC -dot- COM> wrote:

<<The NGC technical publications editor and I have a word usage
question. Do most of you spell it "time stamp" or "timestamp"?
We've seen it both ways.>>

I have not consulted references, and don't need to use this much in
my current work, but it sounds like it's one of those computerese
noun/verb pairs, like the nouns "setup" and "login" and the verbs
"set up" and "log in".

Example: Use your system's timestamp to time stamp your drafts.

Kathy Kearney Moore kkm -at- biosym -dot- com
Technical Writer Phone: 619-458-9990
Biosym Technologies Fax: 619-458-0136