Re: technical writing skills

Subject: Re: technical writing skills
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 1995 10:34:25 EST

Nancy Ott said:

>Not to be defensive, but I think I'm one of the "perverse" folks
>you're referring to here.

This was in regards to requirements and skills for employment candidates.

Nancy, I don't think you need to be defensive. My gut feeling is that you
are -not- one of those folks. Here's why:

*You subscribe to this list. That indicates a higher interest in tech writing
issues than the average person, possibly higher than the average manager. (Any
manager who subscribes to this list is -not- "average.")

*You mentioned in your posting that you're looking for an individual who has
good writing skills, in addition to some background in your field. I gather
that a top-notch expert with no writing skills isn't your candidate of choice,
nor is an person who is an excellent writer, but just can't grasp the basics.

To drive home that last point a little further, you understand that not
-everyone- can write well, you want the person who is the best of both worlds.

My interpretation of the -original- thrust of this thread was that some places
are looking for employees with technical skills at the expense of writing
skills. From job hunting experience last year, I can confirm there are many
potential employers who rank technical skill highest, on the belief that
"anyone can write."

My guess is, you're not one of those managers.

Rick Lippincott
Eaton Semiconductor
Beverly, MA
rlippinc -at- bev -dot- etn -dot- com