Re: Amber vs Orange

Subject: Re: Amber vs Orange
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 08:35:37 EST

Carl Miller asked:

>Should I use "orange" or "yellow" instead of "amber?"

I'd use orange or yellow, these words are more common and more likely to be
understood. Amber is technically the color of the traffic signal light that
means, in some states, "Caution" (and in others it means "Speed up, the light's
about to turn red...."). We generally call it a "yellow" light, though.

Since you've got a clear distinction between yellow and green, you can go with
the simple terms. No need to get into "magenta" "cyan" "mauve," and so forth.

Rick Lippincott
Eaton Semiconductor
Beverly, MA
rlippinc -at- bev -dot- etn -dot- com