6 of one ain't 1/2 doz of another

Subject: 6 of one ain't 1/2 doz of another
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 13:17:58 -0800

Observations of a recent experience --
comments welcomed but not required.

Some of you may remember that during the 6 months I was offline
I asked Bonni Graham to get some feedback from all of you on
modular documentation. Well, I produced the modular doc and
released it to beta 1 around the first of the year.

The first draft of the book had an overview chapter in which
I discussed the four major program utilities and the layout
of the main window. I chose the unfortunate title "Getting
Started" for the chapter. Comments from beta were that the
overview chapter was way too confusing -- that it should be
eliminated and that all introductory material should be at
the beginning of each chapter (eeeeeeek!). Of course, in
calling other beta sites (the ones that had given the book
a good review) I found users that depended on the overview
section and would consider it a serious flaw if the overview
were removed. %-)

Now, here's the scary part, folks! I split the overview chapter
in two. Renamed the first half of it (the utility overview) to
Overview. Named the second half of it The Main Window.

NOTE: I did not change any of the wording, change the order of
any topics, or delete any topics. I did add a one page chapter
intro to The Main Window in which I said **aboslutely nothing**!

Comments from beta 2 -- "Oh! That's much better!"

Go figure!!!

BTW -- one reviewer said the book was too big and gave it a rating
of 4 (not very good). When I explained that the final printed manual
would be 9"x7" rather than the standard copy-shop 8 1/2" x 11",
he said "OH, well then... a 2 (almost wonderful)!!!

Sue Gallagher
StarBase Corp, Irvine CA
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com