TechWhirl (TECHWR-L) is a resource for technical writing and technical communications professionals of all experience levels and in all industries to share their experiences and acquire information.
For two decades, technical communicators have turned to TechWhirl to ask and answer questions about the always-changing world of technical communications, such as tools, skills, career paths, methodologies, and emerging industries. The TechWhirl Archives and magazine, created for, by and about technical writers, offer a wealth of knowledge to everyone with an interest in any aspect of technical communications.
Subject:Re: My Silicon Valley offer From:"Johnson, Mike C. @ SLG" <MCJOHNSO -at- SLC -dot- UNISYSGSG -dot- COM> Date:Fri, 17 Feb 1995 08:51:00 MST
You did the right thing! I have gone to California three different times,
and have come back home all three times. Yes, I made great money. And yes,
I had fun. I still miss the ocean. But in Utah I can ride my bike to
work, leave my cat outside all day, and live in a house I own.
California was nice in the 60s, but not now.
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Subject: My Silicon Valley offer
Date: Thursday, February 16, 1995 7:43PM
First of all, thanks again to everyone who replied
so quickly with information about salaries in
Silicon Valley. The information I got was extremely
helpful, and for those of you who asked me to
forward you copies, it will be on the way very
This is the situation. I am graduating at the end of
May. Michigan Tech is on the quarter system, so I
have one quarter left. The company that offered me
the job wants me to start working after *this*
quarter, which would mean putting graduation off
for at least a year or more. Apparently, they're
not too concerned if I have a degree in hand, since
I've finished most of my course work.
I also have two other job offers that both start in
June. I have decided to turn down the Silicon Valley
job and graduate as planned in May. Most of my friends
think I am insane to turn down the job and money, but
I think it's more important to get my degree. If for
some reason my job were to be cut short, I'm afraid
I would be stuck in Palo Alto with an apartment lease
that costs $1000/month, no job, and no degree, which
most likely means no chance of getting another job.
I'm just wondering if anyone has any comments/advice
about my decision. I haven't turned down the job