Re: Testing

Subject: Re: Testing
From: Howard Gold <howardg -at- SAVVY -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 13:42:36 -0500

On Wed, 8 Mar 1995, Rick Lippincott wrote:

> 1. Did I get my job through the Sunday ads? I was just using that as an
> example, but oddly enough I -did- find my current job by answering an ad in
> the Boston Globe's Sunday Help Wanted section. I know that this is -not- the
> way we're supposed to find jobs any more. I used every resource available,
> and it just happened that the Sunday paper was the one that clicked in this
> case.

Why can't we use the Sunday funnies for jobs? I got my new job that way,
and most folks in the 90's seem to be landing jobs through the papers. As
communicators, we should be delighted that our employers have the good
sense to use the loudest micropohone available to speak to the general
population. SInce there are so few of us TWs anyway, it makes sense for
an employer to cast the widest net possible while fishing for their catch
of the day. (Now I'll get blasted for all those cliches; oh, well).

Rick also wrote:>
> I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, but it bears repeating: my callback
> rate on resumes went up dramatically when I switched from a boilerplate
> cover letter to one that clearly showed I'd read the ad, and thought about
> it for a few minutes before responding.
Of course, while reviewing their catch, employers take into account
intelligence and forethought. Rick's point clearly addresses an
employer's fear that an editor or writer may not understand their needs.
Boilerplates probably get you into exactly what they promise: hot water

-- Howard Gold howardg -at- savvy -dot- com