Usage- verbal or oral

Subject: Usage- verbal or oral
From: QMS Account <Robert -dot- Morrisette -at- EBAY -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 10:54:51 +0800

Auli Ingman <Auli -dot- Ingman -at- X400UX -dot- SASKTEL -dot- SK -dot- CA> said:

Hi, everyone.
Do you ever feel just a little exasperated by the popular confusion between the
terms verbal and oral? As in "She told me verbally"? As opposed to what, using
body language?
Or how about " it was a verbal contract." Well, I always thought those were the
best kind.
Or is this just the language in transition?

The word I've heard recently from politicians & business people:

telephonically

Example: I contacted him telephonically. (I called him.)

How do these weird words get started?

Bob Morrisette
Robert -dot- Morrisette -at- EBay -dot- Sun -dot- COM