Silly jargon (Uncooperative SMEs)

Subject: Silly jargon (Uncooperative SMEs)
From: Michael Kenward <m -dot- kenward -at- BBCNC -dot- ORG -dot- UK>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 10:26:37 +0000

>>> Can someone explain to me the difference between a Subject Matter Expert and
>>> an Expert?
>>>
>>[snip]
>>
>>Sure, Michael.
>>
>>The Subject Matter Expert is the guy who knows all about
>>the subject I'm writing about... The communications
>>expert is ME!
>>
>>Sue Gallagher
>>StarBase Corp, Irvine CA
>>sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com

But you are a _Technical_ Writer. If you really need a qualifier to your
expert, why not call them a _Technical_ Expert. The term Subject Matter
Expert is just plain silly. It is the sort of jargon that good writers
should excise from their copy. And as a large part of the rest of the world
will tell you, the abbreviation SME has a very specific meaning.

Michael Kenward
m -dot- kenward -at- bbcnc -dot- org -dot- uk