Re: Mindless Screen Shots

Subject: Re: Mindless Screen Shots
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 19:18:15 -0700

Romay Jean Sitze said:
> I believe that Susan is right on target here. Not only is it unnecessary
> to include the whole screen where only a piece or picture will do, it can
> even create more confusion in the reader to include too much.

I understand that--sometimes you can't find the particular piece the
illustration is meant to illustrate.

But I have another question. I'll admit that I haven't had to include
screen shots in my own writing, so I don't have any idea how I would
do it. On the other hand, as a user, I am frustrated when only an icon
or only a pulldown menu is presented, because I can't figure out where
the hell it is on my screen. In other words, there isn't enough
information to help me find it. In the other case, there's too much
information to find it. So what do you do? Do include half the screen?
How do you handle this? Am I the only user who has this problem?

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com