On-line help questions

Subject: On-line help questions
From: David Dubin <David_Dubin -at- NOTES -dot- PW -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 07:53:05 EDT

Amanda Taylor asked the following questions about online documentation:
>>1. Does anyone have any software recommendations for Windows Help?

We use ForeHelp. It is quick, easy, and works with WordPerfect, Word, TXT
files, or you can create .RTF files directly in the application. It is also
very easy to learn.

>>2. Does anyone know of any seminars/classes that would be helpful for
learning on-line help software and/or the basics of writing on-line help?

There are several. Check with SkillTech (formerly Ziff) at 800-34-TRAIN or
CommuniTek, or Information Mapping. I have taken courses with all the above
mentioned and was satisfied.

>>3. How about any books that will help me with the basics of writing on-line
help?

Check the bookstore. Focus on books that deal with the theory, not the
mechanics. Try Wm. Horton's books, they are good.

>>4. Are there any *Supreme* "Do's and Don't's" that I should be aware of when
writing on-line help?

YES!!! The primary rule in creating online documentation is that the basis of
all information is the topic. Keep your topics tight, concise, and short.

I hope that this has helped.

David Dubin -at- notes -dot- pw -dot- com@Internet