Re. Postscript across platforms

Subject: Re. Postscript across platforms
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995 10:08:59 LCL

Jean Deraps asked about transferring Postscript (PS) files between Mac
and PC platforms. Here are a few tips:

1. Fonts are the most likely glitch. Use PS (not TrueType) fonts, and
make sure both systems have the same fonts. (Beware "almost the same"
fonts such as Adobe Times and ITC Times.) Adobe doesn't let you embed
PS fonts in PS files, nor does it let you transfer the font files from
one computer to another. Last I checked, their rule was "one printer
per font", but they were changing their guidelines at the time, so
double-check this.

2. The "encapsulated postscript" (EPS) format is another of these
non-standard standards, and EPS files won't always transfer between
applications. (For example, Corel had an "Illustrator EPS" format as
well as a generic EPS format.) If you can use the same software on
both systems, this is your best bet, because file compatibility is
generally good. A better option, if your software supports it, is
"PRN" ("printer") files; these are EPS files created by _printing_
your file to disk instead of _saving_ it as EPS. PRN files work better
because they are a form of PS that the printer's PS interpreter can
work with; as a result, they are "more standard" than EPS!

3. Try creating the files on the PC and importing them to the Mac
using a utility called Debabelizer (the "lite" version is available
from most mail-order services). There must be a PC-based equivalent,
but I'm not aware of any offhand. (Perhaps HiJaak?)

--Geoff Hart #8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of
our reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.