Word choice for scroll bar . . .

Subject: Word choice for scroll bar . . .
From: Brian Boisvert <brianb -at- ICONICS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 10:30:46 EST

I am updating a manual for a Windows-based product that has an
explanation of 3 ways to use the scroll bar to pan along a bar graph
(for example, if the graph is 10 bars long, but you have zoomed-into a
view with only 4 bars appearing on the screen at a time):

(1) Single pan - click the left or right arrow on the scroll bar to
move the graph one bar in the appropriate direction

(2) Page pan - click inside the scroll bar to the left or right of the
indicator to move the graph one page in the appropriate direction (one
page = the current number of bars on the screen).

**Now, the third option is the one I am questioning:**

(3) Random pan - click and drag the indicator along the scroll bar to
view specific areas of the graph. (for example, move the indicator to
the center of the scroll bar to view the middle portion of the graph).

Obviously, these are just rough explanations and I am going to clean
up the text quite a bit, use graphics, etc., but my problem is with
the name of the third option. It really isn't a *random* pan. Random
implies that you pan without any clue of what will show up on the
screen. Unfortunately, I can think of a word or two to describe what
is actually occurring.

Can anyone help? Does anyone know if Microsoft or some other company
has a word for this (because all scroll bars do this, MS Word, etc.)

I am digest, so feel free to respond to me personally in addition to
your list post.

Thank you,

Brian Boisvert Technical Writer
brianb -at- iconics -dot- com ICONICS, Inc.

Previous by Author: Word and Doc To Help and Indexing
Next by Author: Re: Conventions
Previous by Thread: Looking for STC Panelists
Next by Thread: Word choice for scroll bar . . .

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads