recommended scanners and software

Subject: recommended scanners and software
From: Gwen Barnes <gwen -dot- barnes -at- MUSTANG -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 20:25:17 GMT

-> of August. I intend to use MSWord to generate the text and
-> PageMaker to produce the final products.

-> I need to digitize numerous B&W visuals to incorporate in the papers
-> which I will then laserprint. I anticipate working with color
-> visuals in the future, so a color scanner makes most sense. But
-> what products have worked best for you folks experienced in dtp?

Forgive me if I misunderstood your question, but I guessed it to
mean that you wanted to create a presentation electronically in Word
and PM, print it to your laser printer, then scan it so as to
produce graphical images that you can then project on a monitor.

If this is your objective, may I recommend rather than composing,
printing and then scanning, instead using a "bitmap" printer driver,
that will create bitmap images on disk directly from your applications?
I believe that will produce higher quality results than a
second-generation copy from a scanned image.

I think PageMaker comes with a "Print to .TIF" driver, and a company
whose name and references I have now lost enticed me through a direct
mail campaign to get a whizzbang driver for my HP printer that included
a "super bitmap" print driver with a variety of output formats and
resolutions. All I remember of it was that it was called "Superdriver"
andc ame with a freeby package called "Font Encyclopedia". I'll rummage
around at home adn see if I can find the disks with the actual info, and
post it on request.

Cheers, @DISCLAIMER@
Gwen gwen -dot- barnes -at- mustang -dot- com
http://www.mustang.com ftp://ftp.mustang.com
MSI * Connecting the world 805-873-2500