STYLE:HELP

Subject: STYLE:HELP
From: John L Patterson <a342jpatters -at- ATTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 1995 08:39:26 -0500

Help. Which construction is better? Is the first sentence conditional?

1. ALERT: Look for visible meat fibers when inspecting rawhide chews and dog
toys,. Sniff
the product to find out if it has a strong odor. If you detect either meat
fibers or a strong odor,
the rawhide product is not enterable.

2. ALERT: When inspecting rawhide chews and dog toys, look for visible meat
fibers. Sniff
the product to find out if it has a strong odor. If you detect either meat
fibers or a strong odor,
the rawhide product is not enterable.

This is a controversy in our manual's section. And, we want to get it right.
It's for a manual
agricultural officers use to protect our country's livestock from foreign
pathogens.

Thanks,

a342jpatters -at- attmail -dot- com