ATTENTION, BECCA: Certification of tech writers

Subject: ATTENTION, BECCA: Certification of tech writers
From: Peggy Thomson <Peggy_Thompson -at- CCMAIL -dot- OSTI -dot- GOV>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 11:09:00 -0400

Date: Fri, 04 Aug 1995 10:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: Peggy_Thompson -at- OSTIPO
To: listserv -at- ksuvm -dot- ksu -dot- edu

Becca Price started a thread some time ago about certification
of technical writers. I missed her original posting, so the full
context of the thread is not clear to me, but here's what I
learned from another tech writer this week (she works for NASA).

The Board of Editors in the Life Sciences certifies certain
types of editors--you apply to take an exam, provide letters of
recommendation, pay a fee, etc., then if you pass the 3-hr exam
(you have to travel to the exam site), you are ELS-certified and
cna put the initials after your little name. You might have to
be a life sciences editor; I'm not sure. But it's worth an
enquiry.

Write them, my friend said, and tell them you are interested in
taking the exam. They'll send more info.

Board of Editors in the Life Sciences
P.O.Box 824
Highlands, NC 28741-0824