Re: Release notes, updates & errata

Subject: Re: Release notes, updates & errata
From: Grant Hogarth <GRANT -at- ONYXGFX -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 19:49:10 +8

We use Release Notes to cover things like setting up configurations
that were not considered at the time the manuals were written,
updates for dealing with printer updates, workarounds for known bugs,
etc.
We also use them for detailed information that we didn't think should
be included in the manuals (we were wrong :-) ), and elucidation of
points of specific interest to only a few users.

Updates are significant changes to a manual, either because the s/w
has changed significanlty, or because we've collected enough
App/Release Notes to make it worthwhile to update an entire section
of the manual.

Errata sheets are mostly (IMHO) for correcting for typos or mixed up page refs.

Grant.

--- re: Rikki Nyman's message "Release notes, updates & errata" ---

> A couple of us have been scratching our heads about the meaning of release
notes
> vs. updates. I have seen errata included with a document at the time of
> shipment which includes changes that occurred after the piece went to press.
> Are there working definitions of updates/release notes? Are they the same
> thing?

> I've never done release notes myself and I am curious? Thanks!

> Rikki

Grant Hogarth, Information Services,
Onyx Graphics Corp. Midvale, UT

God didn't specify where we should put periods in relation to quotation marks.
He spent his time trying to figure out how to make palm trees work and how to
keep the lions from eating all the giraffes.
--Bill Blinn