another grammar question: as /since

Subject: another grammar question: as /since
From: Rogers George <Reg13 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 00:32:29 -0400

I'm not being cynical when I ask this:
Has it become correct to use the word "as" when you mean "since"?
I always used to think that "as" meant "at the same time" or "in place of"
and not "since" or "because."
I see "as" used for "since" in so many places where I would not expect to see
this construction, I may have missed something, or perhaps I misremember Miss
Seng's lessons.
Can anyone out there cite an authority for this usage?
Best wishes,
Rogers George (Reg13 -at- aol -dot- com)