Help w/ SGML Author for Word

Subject: Help w/ SGML Author for Word
From: "Lane, Debi MV" <DLane -at- PO5 -dot- MV -dot- UNISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 1995 16:12:00 PDT

I just got SGML Author for Word, which is an MS add-on for Word for
Windows 6.

I can't get the product to work, nor can I find any support for
the blasted thing (unless I use the infamous MS 900-line, which
fattens the already-bulging pockets of Mr. Gates by $150/call.)

Here are the problems:

1. When I select "SGML Help" from the applicaton's
Help menu, I get the message. "Bad File Name."
No biggie - I can manually open the .hlp files, but
it's sure inconvenient.

2. When I try to follow the simple example in the manual,
I can't get past square one, which is to save the (provided)
sample.doc file as SGML. (The application produces a
feedback file and an error listing, instead of a valid
SGML instance.)

I've performed a complete installation of the product
(not once, but _twice_), and I've disabled my Word autoexec
macros and startup templates to ensure that I'm running
vanilla Word 6C, instead of my highly customized environment.

Any clues?

Any suggestions for better (or at least supported) add-ons to
Word that perform .doc-to-.SGML conversions and the reverse?

Any comments of how "Near and Far Author" for Word compares
with SGML Author for Word?

Regards,
Debi Lane
Unisys Corporation
ESD ASPG Product Information
(714) 380-6541
Internet: dlane -at- p05 -dot- mv -dot- unisys -dot- com