Productivity Benchmarking

Subject: Productivity Benchmarking
From: Larry Grinnell <Larry_Grinnell -at- PTS -dot- MOT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 1995 20:57:04 -0400

I'm not totally sure this is appropriate for this forum, but I couldn't think
where else to put up a request like this...

I am the "Technoguru" for the technical communications organization within
Motorola's Paging Products Group. My boss has asked me to put out a general
inquiry among our technical writer/communicator peers on the internet to ask
about writer productivity:

* How you measure it?
* How are you are performing against your own measurement criteria?
* Is a "pages per day" measurement the standard by which writers are measured?
* Is there a better measurement than "pages per day?"

Along this line, how many pages per day _do_ you expect from your writers, and
what do you get on the average. If you have qualifiers, such as page size,
graphics pages, etc., please describe them, too.

We are trying to benchmark ourselves against other technical writing
organizations, and in particular, measuring ourselves against other writers
working in the technology fields. We have only recently begun measuring
ourselves in such a fashion and need some guidance/guidelines based on our
peers.

If there is enough interest, I will publish a summary of responses on this
listserver.

Thanks in advance!

Larry Grinnell
Senior Systems Administrator
Integrated Technical Communications
Motorola Inc., Paging Products Group
Boynton Beach, Florida

Larry Grinnell, Motorola, Inc., Paging Products Group
Boynton Beach, Florida
Email: Larry_Grinnell -at- pts -dot- mot -dot- com
"History Delights in Details"--John Quincy Adams