Re: Student exercises

Subject: Re: Student exercises
From: "Delaney, Misti" <ncr02!ncr02!mdelaney -at- UCS01 -dot- ATTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 16:34:00 -0500

Connie E. Winch points out:
Some are arguing that exercises like writing instructions for tying
shoe laces are
unrealistic, too simplistic, etc.
<snip>
That way we were a little more prepared than we otherwise would have
been when she <snip> said "Here's a piece of software; write a manual
for it."

I think you make the point very clear, Connie. As a "project" tying shoes
or using pencils would indeed be pointless and unrealistic. As exercises to
put the student in the right frame of mind to tackle a real project.
Whether those exercises are necessary at a graduate level is open to debate
-- but certainly at an introductory level they make a very valuable point.

Misti
ncr02!mdelaney -at- attmail -dot- com