JAD/JRP

Subject: JAD/JRP
From: "William J. Hobler, Jr." <bhobler -at- CPCUG -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 17:36:11 -0400

JAD and JRP are techniques used to speed up the development and
implementation of software systems build to support business processes.
Both techniques are facilitated meetings of business people in which the
business requirements or the computer system design are determined from a
directed conversation with the group. Taking the two meetings in the order
that they are conducted;

JRP, Joint Requirements Planning
At a meeting of 4-12 or so business people directly involved in the business
process and representing both management and worker bees the facilitator of
the meeting directs the conversation toward WHAT is needed to complete the
process successfully. He or she asks questions and keeps a visual (usually
on a white board) record of the process flow, the information needed to make
the right decisions and the business rules that govern the process. (What is
the business rule that defines a 'good customer'?) There is not supposed to
be a discussion of computer support to the process.

JAD, Joint Application Design (There is a book published with this title.
My copy is in storage so I can't cite it)
A meeting of 4-12 business people, this time people who will be the
operators of the computer system being designed. The facilitator will
direct the conversation to what has to be done and how it should be done.
The specific screens/windows will be designed, the choices available to the
operators will be discussed. In many cases this session will include use of
a prototype of the screens/windows.

Having facilitated many of these things there is much more. I recommend the
book cited.

Questions to bhobler -at- cpcug -dot- org