TW-L Dissension

Subject: TW-L Dissension
From: Christy Dawn Langley <GRLANGLE -at- ECUVM -dot- CIS -dot- ECU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 18:05:41 EST

Someone (can't remember who) reiterated a point that I have heard
before on this list and it disturbs me. The point was that some
subscribers for this list actually have to pay $$$ for the privilege and
do not contend that certain threads, namely the recent thread of
profanity, belong on this list.

I can empathize to some extent with this contention. When I began to
shell out $$$ for HBO, I did not like every single movie shown. And when
my subscription magazine arrives in the mail, it's guaranteed I won't
read every single article although I pay $$$ for the WHOLE magazine. I
occasionally ask myself, "Am I getting my money's worth?" And sometimes
the answer is no, but I have no plans to cancel either subscription
namely because I get what I am promised -- movies and relevant articles
-- for the most part.

If people feel that this list isn't giving them what it promises, i.e.,
talk relevant to tech writing, then I say move on. I feel I am getting
what I $$$ for. FACT: On a list with nearly 1000 subsribers, I can't
expect to be pleased 100% of the time with every post. What saves me
from getting thrown off balance when I encounter a thread that won't die
or one I feel doesn't belong? I understand, appreciate, and anticipate
this fact...AND I bang down on my delete key really, really hard! ;)

+ Dawn Langley +
+ grlangle -at- ecuvm -dot- cis -dot- ecu -dot- edu +
+ http://www.ecu.edu/~grlangle/stc.htm +